Thursday 5 January 2012

BUT I AM JUST A MUM...



Recently a sister asked me a number of questions about home schooling. I could sense how keen she was to do so but at the same time I felt she simply did not believe she had the ability to teach her children. It got me thinking and as I sit here with my morning cup of coffee while the children take a break I think about how I felt back in June 2009 when I removed the children from school. For me it was not something that I had planned. I had looked into home schooling and I knew a few local sisters who were already home schooling their children but I had not done months and months of research. An incident took place in A's school that made me so mad I removed the children that very day and Alhamdulillaah that was the start of our home schooling journey. It was quite a scary time. There I was, this uneducated mother of two, no qualifications to my name, about to take on the responsibility of teaching my children. How was I going to do it? What would I teach them?? What if they wanted to learn something that I simply never had a clue about??? Panic set in and I was very close to finding a new school for them and giving up home schooling before it had even began but Alhamdulillaah I came across something on line that made me realise that I was in fact the best teacher they could ever possibly have. OK so I never knew all the rules of the English language (Let's be honest, does anyone?), and when my nephew asked me to help him with his Degree of a Polynomial homework I felt like he was speaking in some foreign language I was not familiar with, but I was their mother and who wanted better for them than me. Those words that I read made me feel confident that I could do this. They made me realise that I did not have to become some school master, I simply had to continue being their mother. Who had been the one to teach them to walk? Who helped them to take their first steps?? Who showed them how to clean their teeth and make their beds??? Me! It was all me!! I was already their teacher and all I had to do was continue guiding them through life (and possibly invest in a Maths Definitions Book). So here I am two and a half years later, still teaching them and simply being Mum :-)


If like me you are doubting yourself, have a read of those words that helped me back in 2009, and indeed all Praise belongs to Allaah...






    



No comments:

Post a Comment